Join with other teen songleaders for a weekend of training, skill development and hands on learning! Participate in intensive workshops, small-group specialty focused electives, individual evaluation and a musical Shabbat experience.
Jewish music is a cornerstone of the Reform Jewish movement. Return home with a skill set that will enable you to take advantage of the songleading opportunities at your Temple, Religious School, Youth Group and in NFTY.
- Learn how to effectively teach a song
- Work collaboratively in a team (songleading team, Religious School staff, NFTY region, etc.)
- Songlead at a Worship Service, Religious School, Youth Group Event
- Teach early childhood music
- Plan for a service, song session, Religious school year music program
- Learn new melodies and be introduced to old favorites
- Share best practices to continue their growth as a songleader after the program concludes
Nashir Washington, DC
Friday, March 1- Monday, March 4, 2019
Hosted by The Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism at L'Taken
Get the best musical AND social justice training at our first-ever Songleading for Action - L'Taken powered by NFTY Nashir! Learn how protest music can fuel a movement, deepen your knowledge of critical social justice issues, and speak truth to power by lobbying your elected officials in Washington, DC. Questions? Email Logan Zinman Gerber, National Teen Campaign Organizer.
NFTY Songleading Tools
Explore your interest in Songleading and find more resources for beginners through experts.
Songleading Major at URJ Kutz Camp
Kutz Camp is home to the premiere songleading training experience for NFTY teens. Learn more about the major on their website!
Lear more about Jewish Music on ReformJudaism.org
Learn more about Jewish music, find audio recordings, and register for training programs.
This songleading training institute for teen musicians interested in leading music for their temple, Religious School, Youth Group and NFTY has been made possible thanks to a generous gift from Dr. Arthur and Marilyn Lieber.
NFTY Nashir is cos-sponsored by the American Conference of Cantors (ACC)
"Attending Nashir weekends has had an indelible impact on my leadership style, confidence level, and situational awareness - skills I use every day of my life, songleading or not."
- Kate York, 5-time Nashir participant, Religious & Cultural Vice President, NFTY Mid-Atlantic Region
"Although we have seen an upward curve from Avital's musical leadership and confident bimah presence throughout her year as a NFTY-GER songleader, there was a quantum jump in her confidence, presence, and creativity after each of the two Nashir weekends that she attended. The congregation has loved the meaning that she has brought to the worship experiences she has lead - on Friday nights, for our pre-school Pray'n'Play Shabbat, for Shavuot, and in our religious school."
- Rabbi Joel Abraham, Temple Sholom of Scotch Plains
"For many years our son, Julian has had a love for music. Being a proud Jewish teenager, Nashir has given him a time in which he can share his gift of music with other Jewish teenagers in a nurturing environment. The friendships he has formed during Nashir will last a lifetime."
- Adam Stone, parent of 2-time participant Julian in Nashir: Chicago